Search This Blog

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cafe Kaila, Market City Shopping Center

I've been curious about Kaila's since they took the place of our friendly neighborhood blockbuster, and when a friend told me she went, I just had to give it a go. I have to admit, I'm a sucker for breakfast at all times of the day. On an early Saturday afternoon my boyfriend and I took the short trip here.

As far as decor, I really liked it. It's a narrow space but goes back surprisingly far with a cute little coffee bar towards the back. The lighting is nice and bright, not blinding, but something that made me think, 'I'd like to take photos in here sometime.' The waitstaff were all gorgeous, energetic young women and nice to boot. One of them informed us of the special (Eggs Benedict with crab cakes) and for the life of me, I can't figure out why I didn't order that right off the bat. I guess I had my heart set on pancakes...

And so, I order the Buttermilk Pancakes. I denied the offer of fruit (aside from the strawberry garnish) on the top and dug in. I think I put too much hope in them and was rather disappointed. Maybe it's just that my mom's pancakes have spoiled me to all others for life, but these were certainly not the best. They tasted a little undercooked and more gooey than fluffy. I don't think I'd order them again.

My boyfriend and I also split the Italian Omlette. This mas much better than the pancakes, but still lacking in some areas. The potatoes LOOKED crisp, and might have been at some point, but I'm pretty sure they were simply microwaved to re-heat. While flimsy, they did actually taste pretty good. The omlette had garlic, basil, mushrooms and zucchini and was topped with a dollop of red sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. This was the yummiest part of the meal by far.And last, my boyfriend ordered the Steak Panini. Sounds good right? Wrong. I overheard the waitress telling someone that their Panini's were the most popular, but I didn't hear anything about the steak one. By the time we got done peeling off the globs of fat, we were left with about three thinly sliced pieces of tasteless steak. Towards the end of my half, I ended up taking the meat out and just eat the Sourdough bread, which was delicious on it's own.

Thought this trip was unsuccessful, I still have hope. I think next time I'd try that Benedict, or maybe the chicken Parmesan Panini, or chicken pesto.

Go there and see if you have better luck! And right me if I'm wrong! Thanks for reading, over and out.


No comments:

Post a Comment